Tuesday, January 8, 2008

(three:family issues) :[

There were a lot of family issues in this book. It seemed that most of the kids in the Anger Management class were there because of family problems. Even though Bo went into the class because of calling a teacher a name, it was a family problem that caused that. I thought that Hudgie and Shelly had the worst family problems. I was shocked to hear what happened to Hudgie and his dog on Valentines Day. You already know about that because you probably read the book or read blog 2...hint hint. I didn’t expect that to happen in the book or anything big to happen to any of the other characters. I was really shocked to hear about Hudgie and what happened to his dog. I kind of forgot completely about the rest of the story when I heard about that. I was also shocked about Shelly’s story. Before in the story Bo said that Shelly just joined in because she wanted to and I thought that that was kind of strange. Shelly has had a hard life and it was cool that she was willing to share her story with Bo after only knowing him for a little while. When Shelly told her story that was surprisingly one of my favorite parts of the book. It was one of my favorite parts of the book because it seemed like she started in a rough place and picked up the pieces and has made the best of her life ever since. I think it was hard for Bo to hear Mr.Nak to say that his dad was the reason he has anger problems. In my mind it seemed like BO didn’t want to believe that and he didn’t want to believe Mr. Nak at all. In the end of the book, Bo takes the time to talk to his dad and ask him to go into counseling with him to figure out their problems. I was really happy to read that Bo and his dad wanted to solve their problems and become better people to themselves and especially to each other. I was really, really, really, REALLY mad when I read about Bo’s dad leaving the counselor after the doctor asked Bo’s dads about his feelings for his dad and Bo said that is the same way he feels for him. I think that kind of made Bo’s dad feel ashamed and he now knows what Bo has been going through all these years and he feels horrible for what he has done to him. It kind of sucks that they don’t say if they talk in the end but I believe that they wont solve their problems at all because of all the issues they have had in the past and the ones that will affect them in the future. After reading the book I kind of wondered if Mr.Nak had any problems with his family. He didn’t really say much about his family, just about how he drove drunk and got in a car accident and his kids died. I wish he would have said what his relationship with his kids were. I think he was probably a good dad because of the way he treats the Anger management class kids or at least I hope he was. I’m also glad he Is going back to Texas to start over and it’s a lesson to the kids that you shouldn’t run away from everything and this shows that he is going back and not leaving that behind just because something horrible happened there.

4 comments:

Kaitlyn F. said...

I thought most of the stuff that you thought was shocking or weird or whatever was sort of reasonable. I mean of course I don't mean it was OK for Hudge's dad to kill his dog but I was kind of expecting terrible stuff to happen. If it's a book about a group of people who've had a bunch of bad stuff happen to them then it seems like more bad crap will happen and they'll just deal with it better. I hate reading these kind of books. They're so predictable. Anyway, I disagree with the part about Mr. N going back to Texas, too. I mean starting over seems like the best idea to me. His family isn't there any more are they? His kids aren't. I don't know about his wife. If he wanted to face her, I'm not sure I would if we were divorced, then wouldn't he want to find her? Not go to Texas? Because if she's not there then what's the point? I didn't want to know what Bo and his dad said in therapy. I probably would have skipped if I weren't reading it for class. Actually, I probably wouldn't have picked this book to start with. I liked knowing what happened to people but I didn't like how they told the stories all dramatically. Or maybe they didn't. I don't really remember. If they were dramatic, I didn't like it. =/

Lyssa Hemi said...

Ok. All that makes sense. I dont think i expected terrible things to happen but at the same time i didnt expect for very small things to happen eather. What i mean is that Hudges dad killing his dad was sad, but i think it was the perfect amount of sadness for the book. If there was any more sadness could have taken over and not made any happy parts at all. Mr. Nak going back to Texas is a good thin becase then he can face the things that he has left behind. He cant just run away forever or he will be running away from the guilt of what he did forever. Also, its way to teach the angermanagement kids a lesson and himself. You can run away from things for ever, sometimes you have to turn around and face your fears.

Lyssa Hemi said...

I also agree on with that i probably would not have picked this book in the first place. There should add on more info on the back because what is on the summary, is not as interesting as the book actually is.

Kaitlyn F. said...

I don't think I would have read it even if I read a good summary. =/